What is a Parish Council?
Parish Councils are the third tier of local government. They may choose to call themselves a Parish or Town Council depending on the number of residents, but this does not alter their status or responsibilities. Aintree Parish Council, now known as Aintree Village Parish Council , was established in 1895 and consists of twelve voluntary Parish Councillors who are elected for a four year term of office to serve and administer needs of the residents of Aintree Village. It employs a part time Clerk to the Council and a part time Responsible Finance Officer to implement policy decisions. Funding is raised by a precept on each residential property in the Parish of Aintree Village.
What do they do?
The Parish Council owns Harrow Drive Playing Fields and employs a full time manager and assistant, and a part time park-keeper to maintain the high standards of the park. The facilities on offer to the public include two full size football pitches, a bowling green and pavilion, three tennis courts, basketball and children's play equipment and adult exercise equipment. There is also an enclosed area used for additional tennis, roller hockey and five a side football etc.. The Parish Council also has a long term lease of a private footpath around Aintree Racecourse.
When do they meet?
The Parish Council normally meets on the third Monday of each month at 7.00pm, at the Council Chamber in Harrow Drive. A notice of every meeting is displayed in the Parish Council notice boards by the shops in Altway and Molyneux Way. Agendas and minutes are available in the Aintree Village Youth & Community Centre and elsewhere on this website. Except for certain confidential matters, Parish Council meetings are open to the public. Members of the public can also petition the Council at the start of every meeting; notice is not required but it is useful to let the Clerk know in advance so that all relevant information can be made available to petitioners
Downloads minutes from the last 12 months are available here.
|Who are they?
|The Clerk to the Council
|Responsible Finance Officer
to access Sefton Council's website, where you can find register of interest forms for each Parish Councillor.
History of Aintree Village Parish Council
The 1894 Local Government Act passed through Parliament on 5th March 1894. Most Parish Council Elections took place on 4th December 1894. At that time Aintree Village had only three hundred residents and it was decided that Aintree was too small for a Parish Council. Aintree won an appeal against this decision and held their election on 7th February 1895.
Quote from Ormskirk Advertiser, 6th December 1894:
“This meeting was held in the Schoolroom Aintree, Mr William Pye presiding. A resolution was passed establishing a Parish Council for the Parish Of Aintree”
It was said of the Local Government Act that;
“Every labourere who pays the smallest rate in his Parish, will have a choice in the election of his Council and would, when the duties are fully understood, exercise it for his own benefits.”
Aintree Village is often confused with other areas including those known as Walton Vale and Hartley’s Village, which are 2 miles away and are governed by Liverpool City Council. Aintree is widely believed to mean ‘one tree’ or ‘tree standing alone’. Aintree Village was first documented as ‘Ayntre’ in a charter of Cockersand Abbey written about 1200 AD. Local historians have researched Aintree Village and found other early documented evidence. With this in mind, it was decided by the Parish Council to assure the area of its own identity and to revert back to its original name of ‘Aintree Village’. This request was granted by Sefton Council in 1999.